Request #20-312



Pursuant to California Public Records Act § 6250 et seq. I am requesting the most up to date information pertaining to the following types of obligations held in accounts managed by The City. Records may include any and all:


  1. Records concerning credits, overages, or refunds that are due and owing by the city
    1. Typically these may be tax related in nature
  2. Called, matured, and/or currently redeemable bonds issued by the city which may include but is not limited to refunds due back to the depositor pertaining to sheriff bonds, construction bonds, or public works related bonds
  3. Any financial spreadsheet, ledger, or other record of the active cash and cash-convertible sureties and escrow accounts maintained by the City for financial instruments posted or deposited with the City by companies to ensure completion of private-sector residential or commercial construction projects.
    1. Please note that I am only requesting records that have not been refunded to the payee. Do not include any items that would not be able to be recovered or paid out.
  4. Amounts on deposit with the City that are held in trust for recipients whose whereabouts are unknown including instances where payments were attempted but undeliverable. These amounts may pertain to eminent domain, matured government bonds, tax refunds, tax overpayments, real estate foreclosures, restitution payments, proceeds from public sales of lost property, unsuccessful electronic funds transfers, funds held in escrow, or any other securities
  5. Outstanding and refundable credit balances.
  6. Unclaimed, uncashed, undeliverable, staled-dated, voided, overdue and/or outstanding payments or checks/warrants issued by the city


If some of this request is exempt from release, please release the remainder of the record which is allowed. Please provide all requested records that are greater than $500, are claimable (The obligation to the payee has not been voided by law), The funds have not been turned over to the abandoned property office, and the funds are not in the process of being issued or reissued. Also for any outstanding checks, please only provide those that the payee still has the right to claim and have been outstanding for a period of over 3 months. For each property, please provide issue dates, payee names, addresses, and dollar amounts due. If possible, an excel document would be the desired format to receive data for all available years.


If the requested records could not be found or do not exist in your possession, please provide the contact information for the public body from which they may be requested and forward this request to them (For example, if another department issues checks on your behalf.) Also, if other departments may hold this information, please be sure to circulate to ensure complete responses.


We would appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and, if possible, request your response within 15 business days of receipt of this letter.  We will reimburse for any reasonable costs associated with the provision of these documents. Please notify us should  costs exceed $50.


Thank you for your assistance with this matter.  If you have any questions concerning the above or need further clarification, please contact me at (404) 264-8545 or





January 14, 2020 via web


City Clerk





Point of Contact

Clerk CPRA Coordinator

Request Published Public
January 15, 2020, 9:09am
Request Closed   Hide Public

As of this date, our office has determined that the Office of the City Clerk is not in possession of any documents or information relating to your request.  Please be advised that this response does not include any records that may be in the custody of other City departments.  Each department in the City of Los Angeles maintains and is responsible for their own records. This request with the Office of the City Clerk is considered closed.

For all other city department’s records please go to their respective webpage and contact them directly or please contact 311 Call Center at 213-473-3231.


Please contact the following officces for the records you are seeking:

Controller’s Office at (213) 978-7555 (Information) or visit his website at

Please contact the Office of Finance at (844) 663-4411 or visit their website at

January 15, 2020, 8:28am
Department Assignment Public
City Clerk
January 14, 2020, 4:09pm
Request Opened Public
Request received via web
January 14, 2020, 4:09pm