To Whom it May Concern:
I write to obtain copies of certain government records pursuant to the California Public Records Act, Cal. Gov’t Code § 6250 et seq. I request copies of the following records:
- Copies of any and all applications for a firefighter position, of any level or specialty, that were denied based upon an applicant’s criminal record, since May 10, 2014.
- Any and all documents referencing, mentioning, related to, or pertaining to the rejection of a firefighter application, for any level or specialty, based upon the applicant’s criminal record, since May 10, 2014.
- Any and all documents that set Lost Angeles Fire Department (“LAFD”) policies, regulations, or guidance on the evaluation of firefighter applicants, of any level or specialty, with a criminal record, since May 10, 2014.
- Any and all documents or records pertaining to firefighter applicants, of any level or specialty, with a criminal record that were accepted or rejected since May 10, 2014.
- Any and all documents and records reflecting which current LAFD firefighters, of any level or specialty, possess a criminal record.
- Any and all documents and records reflecting which LAFD firefighters, of any level or specialty, previously served in a firefighting capacity while incarcerated, since May 10, 2014.
If the records and documents sought are stored electronically, please provide the information on a readable disk, or send it as an email attachment to email@example.com. Otherwise, please provide hard copies by mail to Erin Wilcox, Pacific Legal Foundation, 930 G Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.
The California Public Records Act requires a response to this request be made within 10 business days. Cal. Gov’t Code § 6253(c). If access to the records I am requesting will take longer than 10 business days, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies of the requested records. If you choose to deny this request in full or in part, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely.
Last, I respectfully request that you waive any costs. Pacific Legal Foundation is a non-profit public interest foundation which subsists on charitable donations, and I am seeking this information in the public interest. If you determine that the documents requested are too numerous to provide courtesy copies, please contact me so that we may discuss the cost of producing the documents.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by email or by phone at (916) 419-7111.